Blog Archive

Saturday 6 April 2013

Sedum and Sad Sheep

The day began in a very overcast, cold way as per usual. We had been promised sunshine.
We decided to go to the garden. We did get quite a lot done.
I completed the perenniel bed. I put some better soil on top.

Steve did a lot of raking down. The soil is drying out and was 7 degrees when Steve used 
a temperature probe in our own garden later. This means we could plant things.
I think the traditional way for farmers, was to take down their trousers and sit on the soil with their bare bottoms. If it felt warm, they could plant. I have to say that whilst weeding 3 days ago without gloves, my fingers were very cold. Today they felt fine.

I hope to have carrots in this area. It is a rich and fine soil.

My next job was to move some of the sedum as it is scattered around the whole garden. 


It has done very well and survived the winter which is a good sign,
seeing as we want to use it for the cob shed roof.

I love this green.




In the next few weeks I think we will see a lot more new growth.


The new nettle growth is looking strong. I had wanted to solve this annual problem. I don`t want it to grow through the fencing. I am quite happy with it along the edges.


Steve also repositioned the brieze blocks alongside the herb garden. It looks a lot neater.
We are going to need a huge amount of chipped bark very soon. All the paths need replenishing.


The buds on the pear are swelling. I don`t want them to open too soon though.


Holly`s honeysuckle is shooting all over the place.


Two sheep in the garden....... for the sweet, long grass.
I`m not sure, but I think they may have lost their lambs 
and were looking a bit sad.














A little conundrum.....how come this cowpat is on the top rung of the fence? 
I can`t see how it`s physically possible.


At home I sowed yet more seeds and yes I did manage to find more space in my greenhouse.


The sun came out.....hooray....... and all the crocuses opened.
Sorry it`s not quite in focus.
New camera coming soon. Can`t wait.










4 comments:

  1. Jonathan uses that method for deciding when to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ....have you any pictures?
    I`ve just thought ....it could be true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking good.
    I'm looking forward to visiting again soon, possibly the first bank holiday May weekend. It would be lovely to meet you after reading your blog for so long now. I will let you know if we intend to visit :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well everything is about 4 weeks behind but I think the weather really is warming up. Perhaps we can do some cobbing altogether. I`m warning you though, it is VERY hard work. Thanks for your comments. Wish I could get more interaction.

      Delete