Blog Archive

Friday 11 October 2013

Beautiful Views and Free Turf

We called briefly at the garden last w/end with two lots of visitors and to collect vegetables and flowers.
A good gardening visit was much needed both for the garden itself and for me.
My new nephew, Frazer Joseph, has arrived and there has been a flurry of excitement in the family and quite a bit of running round. I was needing to get my hands in the soil.
I did just that quite literally....


Mainly to show just how huge these potatoes are. It was a good crop.


It was hard work but most satisfying.

On Wednesday we collected some turf from a skip outside my school. I noticed it on Tuesday when I went 
to teach. The workmen who were replacing turf and rubber matting in the childrens` playground, said I was quite welcome to it. My sister Paula came to help.


It made a bit of a mess in the back of our two cars but well worth the effort since it was free.


We also took some rubber matting. This could be quite useful....not sure what for yet!!




At the plot we spread it over empty beds and I was very glad when it rained hard, today to keep it growing and green. There is enough for us to make our living sedum roof.


We emptied the polytunnel. This may be the last year we use it as there are plans for a much bigger one elsewhere in the garden. It has done us very well.


To vary my gardening position I spent quite some time picking the helichrysum. They look fantastic. This basket is filled with one picking.


Compost bins with a view.

The light was particularly good so I got some good shots.





All the scarecrows will need to go inside soon .
Poor Tom may need some work next spring.
He looks innocent enough from the outside.....

....but inside it`s a different story!!!


 The receptionist has taken up bee-keeping.




No comments:

Post a Comment