Blog Archive

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Harvest Festival


Incredible skies over Winchelsea this morning as I made my way across the marshes 
for the childrens` harvest festival.


The beautiful church basking in glorious sunshine at 8.45 a.m.


The graveyard where Spike Milligan is buried ("I told you I was ill.")


I made my way through the decorated doorway.


Inside, the grand piano was ready and waiting for me, there were lots of parents and children arriving with their harvest gifts
and the sun was pouring in through the fabulous stained glass windows.


I had time to look around before playing restful music.


The service began. The children sang beautifully and I was very proud of them.
We sang the four songs we have been practising for the last few weeks.

The church has had a flower festival over the weekend and looked truly stunning.
























One of the most moving displays was on the largest tomb......


....taking its cue from Millais` painting.


This is a copy in the church.


Other tombs were most touchingly decorated.


The school display was near the entrance.


The font was depicting Winchelsea`s close links with the sea.


I greatly enjoyed the display depicting music.



Outside in the bright autumn sunshine, I stopped to view the allotments in the village wondering how much produce for the church came from here.
All the gifts from the children are going to St.Michaels Hospice.

Driving back along the marsh road to Pett, and spending the rest of the day in my two gardens,
I had plenty to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment