Blog Archive

Thursday 24 October 2013

Cob Roof and Reptiles

Thank goodness for an afternoon at the garden. It was rather grey but the rain held off.
There is still lots to do before the winter.
Paula and Anne joined us and later Jamie and Julia brought Frazer for his first visit to Freshwinds. I hope it will be the first of many and that he will grow to love it as we do.

Gardening is in his genes.

Anne tried to mow the long grass but the mower was playing up.
She did a lot of weeding especially in the fruit net.
Paula pulled up some old  sweetcorn and planted some onion sets.

Steve worked on the cob roof trying to get more wooden slats on. Each had to be sawn to size.






I worked on this bed moving sedum to another bed.....


....thinning out over-large perenniels, weeding and transplanting forgetmenots.

I also trimmed the wild flower strip. It hasn`t done so well this year. A fresh start next year I think.



I trimmed the comfrey. It will be going on the compost heaps. It was not a pleasant job as some of it had gone a bit slimy. I should have worn gloves!!



Whilst working on the flowerbed, I was thrilled to come across this newt. It was fairly lively. 


At home I have been experimenting with patchwork shower hats.
If anything, I would use thinner fabric next time.


My lavender pads are bigger than I usually make. They are designed to go under your pillow to help you sleep better.



My next post will be about composting.







No comments:

Post a Comment