Blog Archive

Monday 2 March 2015

Morocco 1970

In 1970 I was training to become a teacher. THE thing to do, was to hitch-hike anywhere in Europe but THE place to go, apart from the Greek Islands (and that`s another story) was Morocco.
So, my then boyfriend and I, set out at the beginning of August and in a series of 55 lifts, 3 boats, 4 trains and 11 buses, hitch-hiked down through France, Spain and finally to Morocco, returning to England on 23rd September......much to the relief of my Mum and Dad.
I had £50 with me.
We also had a tent, sleeping bags, our youth hostel cards, some basic cooking equipment 
and a very simple "wardrobe" of clothes.


Entering Morocco at that time was quite traumatic, especially for my boyfriend. He had already had his long hair cut in Spain but at the border in Cueta, they would not let us through until the following morning. The annoying thing was that inside Morocco, there were many young men with very long hair. I think they were trying to keep a check on how many hippies were going into the country.

We travelled round extensively, visiting Tangiers, Rabat, Casablanca, Asni, Marrakesh, Khenifra, Azrou, Fez and Meknes. And we stayed in youth hostels.
We met some very funny and very interesting people there.
My abiding memories are of a happy, smiling people, some uncertainty, many children, red hills and red mud towns, dried up river beds in which I found amethyst crystals, the bustling souks full of cheap and cheerful goods, a great deal of walking, a basket full of souvenirs and the great sense of adventure and daring.

The basket, which can just be seen in the picture held.....
8 drums
3 belts
4 white shirts
1 embroidered shirt
1 handbag
amber beads
3 bead necklaces
bead belt
4 melon seed necklaces (made by me)
kohl eye makeup
2 horse shoes
skull cap
5 scarves
shells 

I still have some of those things.....
the bead belt on the right was purchased from a Berber girl at the Asni youth hostel by one of our drivers. He gave it to me.
 



We did take a camera but had to be very careful about photos. We had one black and white film and one coloured film with about 12 possible pictures on each.

Here are some of those pictures.....

 Fez

 Marrakesh



I returned to England with a rich set of memories, which were a wonderful resource for the art course that I was studying at the time.
I also came back with a tiny black book which was a diary of the trip
and the reason I can recall so much detail.

I left a tiny part of my heart there.



6 comments:

  1. That last little sentence is very thought-provoking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post Jen, you haven't changed at all, such a lovely photo, you look soooo happy :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you`re very kind but I think I`ve changed quite a lot.

      Delete