Blog Archive

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Posh Paths and Weeds

We`re not exactly having typical May weather! I am still wearing three layers, but at least the local frog population isn`t too worried. Their raucous calling can be heard from Freshwinds Garden.
This evening my hands are very rough from being in soil nearly all day. 
Lashings of handcream before bed I think.

Today Tim has brought a few loads of chipped bark round to the carpark. 
He has raked it around our hornbeam hedge.
Many thanks Tim.
The next idea is to enclose the plants in netting to keep rabbits from nibbling the trunks.
The new leaves are a bit confined in the rabbit guards. 

The nursery table is in a different position.


The car was loaded up with things to plant, helichrysum, French marigolds, 
four more tomato plants (St. Pierre,) broccolli, rocket, calabrese and spinach.

We have had to cover everything newly planted. The rabbits have even eaten the new roses. 
I can hardly believe it. It was a bit sad to see the newly formed flower buds scattered around the base.






This hardy osteospurnum is looking good.

















Aquilegia just opening.













A welcome splash of colour in the wallflowers.


The strawberries are starting to flower. I have some new ideas this year 
after last year`s problems....I am ever the optimist.

BEFORE
This was how I found the raised bed for carrots, radishes and spring onions under the fleece.
Good job they were in neat rows and good job I know what the seedlings look like.
 The ground was perfect for weeding.

AFTER
Actually the weeds were very interesting. This bed was filled with our own compost from the heaps. 
Obviously it did not get that "hot" because there were a lot of really good seedlings in it, such as hollyhocks, poppies and a white daisy. Next time I weed I shall be saving them all.



Here are the newly replenished paths, narrower and now with carpet underneath.


Some of the dahlias have survived the winter.

 
 The herb garden looks great.


This is a panorama of the garden. I think I need to be in a better position next time.













No comments:

Post a Comment