Blog Archive

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Wild Flowers and Fairy Garden

We went to the garden on Tuesday, loaded up with things to plant.


Unfortunately, I forgot the wild flower seeds and had to go home for them.
Lots of plants have established themselves in the wild flower area but there are a few gaps. I was determined to get rid of thistles, nettles, dock and some bracken. This loosened the soil a bit and I broadcast the seed left over from last year. It rained later so the whole area got a good soaking.


This was my main job, but I also planted a tray of good, strong calendula "Orange King" plants.
They had to be covered with fleece due to the activity of the rabbits.


They look a bit sad on their own, but they will soon fill out.


The onion bed is perking up.


The potatoes are just showing.


The apple blossom is so lovely.

At home, the wallflowers are at their best. Most of these were grown on at the garden and brought home in the autumn for planting up along with the tulips.

 
The tulips are getting a bit of a battering in the wind.

Here is a great idea for next autumn. Put a few wallflowers in a terracotta pot.
This will provide a splash of colour in the spring which can be moved around, perhaps to a dull corner.


I have been doing some miniature gardening...in my fairy garden.


It needed a good tidy after the winter.


I have since added some very tiny solar lights and if it wasn`t so cold I would be going out at night to see how it looks.

More cobbing on Saturday with a sausage sizzle as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment