Blog Archive

Thursday 25 July 2013

Swarming Bees

A couple of days ago a swarm of bees gathered on the apple tree in our garden.



Steve phoned our local bee keeper, Robert Bond. He came round with a basket and calmly shook them all in. The basket was then placed on a green sheet upside down and left til the evening. 


The returning bees were able to get inside. They were out scouting for a new home.
Later they were mostly all inside and Robert came back for them.

There are still a few hanging around the garden and they are not that happy but seeing as the new home is not far away they should find their way.

On a walk this evening Robert stopped in his car to tell us that they had settled in well and had a laying queen. They are not far from our house or the Freshwinds garden, so it would be fair to say that the bees will have visited flowers in both gardens. I`d like some of that honey.

It has been baking hot and we`ve had a couple of storms and some heavy downpours.
It has done the gardens a world of good and has made weeding a joy.
We`ve had regular swims at the local beach, Pett Level. The sea is warming up.



Here are my latest crafts.

This is a beach quilt for my nephew. It has patches from my sister`s jeans and other fabric she has given me.


This is a hoola hoop weaving using all my sister`s old t shirts. It is for my niece.

Finally, when we came home last night after a great Italian meal in Hastings with close family, we stopped the car to view this wonderful sunset. A fitting end to a good day.








2 comments:

  1. I used to work with Roberts son Colin at GDs, he was at Janes party.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a really nice man. I`m hoping to buy some honey from him. We met his wife Rosemary as well.

    ReplyDelete