Blog Archive

Tuesday 1 April 2014

A Little Bit of Heaven

Freshwinds Garden has been delightful this afternoon, quiet except for the birdsong and William, bringing trailerloads of logs for the yurt log-burning fires. There is an occasional bleating from the new lambs and one single croak from the frogs in our pond. There are butterflies on the forgetmenots and huge bumblebees. Hope they have visited the blossom on the plum tree which is thick and beautiful.


This is the pear blossom.

My sister gave us her old pine double bed. This has now been recycled as part of the cob house roof.
Steve worked on that for most of the afternoon.

 












I decided to complete the weeding of the flowerbeds, mostly buttercup, some docks, nettles and grasses.


I uncovered the dahlia tubers. I am wondering how they have fared through this mild yet rather wet winter.
The soil under the carpet was damp and weed-free. It`s a great way to treat soil. 
No digging necessary, I just raked it down.


I`ve cleared the end of the raised bed and Steve cut a couple of elderberry branches. They keep dropping seeds and producing hundreds of tiny seedlings. Think this will be a good space for carrots, spring onions and perhaps some annual herbs.


Here`s the next section along!!!? Lots of these "weeds" are opium poppies and I shall try to transplant them before they get too big.


In 2011 this was my first job when we began the garden. It took a long time and was very hard work.


The newly trimmed willow is just starting to sprout (note yurt in background.)


The mini-nursery has its first plants....daisies.


My last job was to water the sedum. It is fast drying out.

All in all a lovely afternoon in this little bit of heaven.






2 comments:

  1. Our pear blossom hasn't opened yet but one of the plum trees is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just hoping there is no frost to ruin the blossom so fingers crossed.

      Delete