Blog Archive

Saturday 5 April 2014

Making Easter Baskets

This blog entry will describe how I made my Easter baskets this year.

My new nephew, Frazer, is now having Aptamil First Milk. Jamie and Julia asked me if I wanted the empty containers as they felt sure I would find a use for them.
Well earlier in the year I did make containers to hold all our chargers, now hanging on the back of a cupboard door. The hooks need to be a little more sophisticated.


This is how I made the baskets.


Here is the original container.
I measured it up from the bottom 8cm all round then cut the top part away.
From the remaining part I cut a 1.5 cm handle.


Next I cut 10cm strips of fabric from pastel coloured fabric and sewed them together into 42 cm lengths.
I used quite a few of my scraps but stuck to greens, blues and yellows.
For the handles I made another strip of the same size and cut it down the middle (5cm x 42 cm) making two.
After pressing out the seams, I cut a lining of the same size sewing them together along the longest edge.
I added some lace for effect.
After pressing, I sewed this into a tube.


I slipped this over the carton.
I drew round the base on card and used this as a pattern to cut two bases from felt.
I sewed one on the inside and one underneath by hand, having pinned them first to size up.
For the handle I laid the handle strip across the fabric, oversewed it in place and lined with a strip of felt which I sewed in place by hand.

Attaching the handle took some time to work out as I knew a needle would not pierce the carton.
After thinking about a drill, a paperworm etc, the easiest option was just to pierce, with the point of some sharp scissors, taking great care.
I made 4 holes, two on the handle and two on the basket sides.
I found the next part the hardest. I sewed the handles on by lining up the two holes with a button on each side and catching at the sides to stop the handle sliding round.
Finally I lined the base with shredded tissue.


I am filling them with little Eastery bits and pieces for the young children of the family.

This afternoon Macie received hers and enjoyed looking at all the things I`d put in the basket.


Here are some ideas for things to fill the basket.
1. Chocolate eggs
2. Chocolate bunnies
3. Small knitted toys (the bunny pattern came from Little Cotton Tails)
4. Bubbles
5. Packets of seeds
6. Transfers
7. Stickers
8. Small bars of soap
9. Easter paper chains
10. Finger puppets

I am sure there are many more ideas out there, for contents.
I enjoyed the project very much and hope it may inspire someone who enjoys recycling.
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment