Blog Archive

Friday 11 April 2014

Leather Jacket Infestation

Those who read this blog regularly, will remember that we had a whole bed of lovely sedum plants, ready for the cob shed roof. I thought they looked a bit odd at the end of the summer but I did not investigate further.
This spring I decided there wasn`t much point in keeping the plants .... they looked awful.
I began clearing them. As I dug into the soil, every trowelful had about 5 or 6 leather jackets. 
In fact I have never seen so many in one place. 
I have often found the odd leather jacket under a tuft of grass and I knew they fed on grass roots but I had no idea they would devastate the sedum bed.
Luckily we have plenty of sedum around the rest of the garden but now I am worried that we might get an infestation when the sedum is on the roof. I am also concerned about the seedlings and other plantings we may do in that area. It may have to be treated but I`m not sure what with.

Otherwise the garden was peaceful today.... just the sound of the sheep and lambs moving from one field to another. The tiny house has been moved into the field and can be viewed through a veil of blossom.














I weeded the asparagus bed and cut a few spears. We also brought some rhubarb home to freeze.


I did more to the big bed started last time. It is full of weeds but is turning over well.
When I`d had enough of that job I carried on digging the raised bed and removed the carpet from the last bed of dahlias. Lots of mole runs amongst the tubers.

 
I am thinking of using the carpet idea for more areas next autumn..... no weeds...... 
and we have plenty of carpet.


I raked down an area dug last time.
Very satisfying.


Steve was busy lifting turf to go round the bare earth surrounding the cob shed. It had an instant impact.
I want the grass to grow long here.


















The forgetmenots are looking great.





We put rabbit wire round the butterfly garden as I want to plant 
my wilder seeds straight into the ground there.


The first crafts are in the Wool Barn.










I have been making bunnies and chicks for Easter.




On Wednesday my new nephew Frazer received his first Easter basket.
Here he is with his dad.
He was fascinated by the cellophane bag round the home-made candles.


Here he is sitting in the piano stool

No comments:

Post a Comment